These homemade chicken goujons are healthy, crispy, succulent and delicious. Unlike most homemade chicken goujons they are are also dairy & egg free! They can also be easily adapted to be gluten free too.
They are great for a kids playdate tea or a weekend dinner for the whole family.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links – This means I receive a commission for purchases made though those links, at no cost to you. Please click here for further info*
Ask any child what their favourite food is and I can guarantee at least half of them will say chicken nuggets/goujons. To be fair I love them too (can’t beat a kids dinner!).
Sadly, a lot of the shop bought ones are not particularly healthy. They can be filled with salt, sugar and sometimes ingredients you can’t even pronounce.
So, you decide to make your own. That way your kids can have their favourite dinner and you can sleep at night knowing you haven’t fed them a freezer dinner again. (No judging.. we all do it!!)
Except most of the homemade chicken goujon/nugget recipes all contain egg in the coating!
That’s where this recipe was born…. I tried to use dairy free milk and butter instead of egg in the breadcrumb coating, however neither stuck as well as the traditional method.
Step in my trusty Hellmans Vegan Mayo….. This recipe is so so simple you will make it time and time again.
How To Make Dairy & Egg Free Homemade Chicken Goujons
- Let’s start with the breadcrumbs. I have used Hovis Best of Both for this recipe, I find this bread is easy to blitz into breadcrumbs. It also has added calcium which is great for trying to get more calcium into a dairy free diet. Wholemeal bread and sour dough both work really well. You can also use gluten free bread and this recipe would become gluten free.
- Use a food processor to blitz the bread into small breadcrumbs. Add in some garlic granules once blitzed to give a bit of extra flavour.
- I have used chicken breasts and cut them into long strips. You can also buy chicken breast mini fillet strips and they will be pre cut into goujons for you!
- Coat the chicken with the vegan mayo using a pastry brush, ensuring you get a good layer all over.
- Put the breadcrumbs in a large bowl, then place the chicken strips in the bowl, one at a time, flipping over ensuring you fully coat both sides. Press the breadcrumbs into the chicken.
- Heat some vegetable oil in a frying pan and fry for 2-3 minutes each side until golden brown, then transfer to the oven on a baking tray for 10-15 minutes until fully cooked.
Can I Just Bake Dairy & Egg Free Homemade Chicken Goujons?
I have fried the goujons for a few minutes first before transferring to the oven as this is what gives them their golden crispy appearance, however if you would prefer to just bake them in the oven, adjust the cooking time to 15-20 minutes.
They will still taste delicious! Try spraying them with some olive oil before placing in and they will still crisp up slightly.
Here is what they look like just baked in the oven without pre frying.
What Can I Serve with Dairy & Egg Free Homemade Chicken Goujons?
The goujons are great served with
Homemade potato wedges and peas.
They also work really well with my vegan coleslaw
How Can I Store Leftovers?
These dairy and egg free homemade chicken goujons can be prepared ahead and stored in the fridge uncooked for 24 hours.
Once cooked they can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for 1-2 days.
To re-heat put them in an oven at 180 degrees/gas mark 4 until they are piping hot, usually about 15 minutes.
If you love this recipe please rate and review and leave a message in the comments!
More Dinner Ideas…
- Tree nuts
- Sesame seeds
- Sulphur dioxide and sulphites
- Gluten (Can be made gluten free by using gluten free bread)
PLEASE DOUBLE CHECK ALL PACKAGING FOR ALLERGENS
Dairy & Egg Free Homemade Chicken Goujons
- 2 Medium Chicken breasts Approx 250g
- 4 Slices Hovis Best of Both bread or any alternative bread. Can use gluten free bread
- 3 Tbsp Hellmans VEGAN mayo
- 1 Tsp Garlic Granules
- 2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil or alternative oil
- Black Pepper to taste
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees / gas mark 4.
- Blitz the breadcrumbs in a food processor. Once blitzed add the garlic granules and black pepper to taste. Stir well.
- Cut each chicken breast into 2-3 long strips lengthways (dependant on size of breast).
- Coat the chicken strips with the vegan mayo using a pastry brush.
- Place the breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl and then put the chicken strips into the breadcrumbs, one at a time, turning over and coating well.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan, add the chicken strips, frying for 2-3 minutes each side until golden brown.
- Transfer the chicken to a baking tray and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes until fully cooked through.