This chicken, bacon & mushroom pie with potato topping is hearty, warming and so tasty! Perfect for a family winter midweek dinner.
It is also dairy free, egg free and can be easily adapted to be gluten free too!
*Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links - This means I receive a commission for purchases made though those links, at no cost to you. Please click here for further info*
When the nights draw in and the temperature drops, cravings for warm, comforting food rise. This creamy chicken and mushroom pie is perfect for an autumnal, succulent family meal.
This dinner is a winner in my house, both of my children cleared their plates. My eldest said she loved the creamy sauce and my little boy said the crispy mashed potato was “dewishus”!
If you love pies as much as me, check out this dairy free fish pie too!
Now, there is quite a list of ingredients needed to make this dish…. but please don’t let that put you off!
It is actually pretty simple to make, most of the ingredients you will have in anyway and trust me, that extra bit of prep time will be so worth it!
- Chicken - I used breasts in this recipe as that is what I had in the fridge, but chicken thighs would also work really well. If the thigh fillets are quite small, I would throw in an extra one and use 5 for this recipe.
- Potatoes - Yukon Gold potatoes are fab for mash as the texture of the flesh is deliciously creamy, meaning you don’t have to add a butter alternative. If you can get hold of these they are my first choice! Failing that a good Maris Piper or Russet potato are great alternatives.
- Bacon - Smoked bacon will give you a stronger flavour.
- Carrots & Mushrooms - Both of these can be chopped finely if you need to disguise the vegetables in the pie.
- Onion and garlic.
- Dairy Free Butter - I have used Flora Plant Butter for this recipe.
- Flour - To thicken the sauce. You can also use gluten free flour.
- Chicken stock - I have used the Knorr chicken stock pots. They are gluten free, infact they are free from the top 14 allergens. (Double check packaging)
- Dried thyme.
- Mustard - This can be left out if you have a mustard allergy.
- Black pepper - to season
How To Make Chicken Bacon & Mushroom Pie with Potato Topping | Dairy Free
Brown the chicken in some oil in a frying pan until lightly browned all over. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Whilst the chicken is browning, peel, chop and boil your potatoes. Once cooked, mash the potatoes. You can add a splash of dairy free milk to make them a little creamier.
Add the bacon to the same pan that the chicken was in and fry until nice and crispy. Once crisp, turn down the heat and add the garlic, onion, carrots and mushrooms. Fry together, stirring regularly until soft.
In a separate pan, melt the dairy free butter, once melted, add the flour and whisk together. Slowly add the stock, whisking all the time until the sauce has thickened, then add the mustard, dried thyme, and stir.
Put the chicken back into the frying pan with the bacon, add the sauce and mix together well. Transfer mixture into a casserole dish and top with the mashed potato.
Bake in the oven for 45 minutes until crispy.
- Swap the mushrooms for leeks - add 2 chopped leeks to the pan at the same time you would the mushrooms.
- Add a mugful of peas for an extra veg kick!
- Swap the potato for sweet potato or why not try half and half?
The pie will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days. Re-heat in the microwave until piping hot.
You can also freeze once the pie has been cooked. Freeze in portions in a tupperware dish or freezer bag. Defrost in the fridge for 8 hours, then re-heat in either the microwave or oven until piping hot throughout
Yes, brown the chicken first in a frying pan before combining it with the pie mixture and putting in the oven.
This pie is delicious served with green beans or any other green vegetable like broccoli (or peas if you are not using them in the pie!
More Family Dinner Ideas...
Vegan Creamy Mushroom & Broccoli Pasta
Kids Chicken Teriyaki Style Noodles
PLEASE DOUBLE CHECK ALLERGENS ON ALL PACKAGING
Dairy Free Chicken Bacon & Mushroom Pie with Potato Topping
- 4 x chicken breasts
- 3 Rashers smoked bacon
- 1 Small onion diced into small squares
- 2 Cloves garlic crushed
- 100 Grams carrots sliced and quartered
- 100 Grams mushrooms sliced
- 1 Kg Potatoes Preferably Yukon Gold or Russet
- 50 Grams Dairy free spread e.g Flora Plant Butter
- 50 Grams plain flour can be substituted for gluten free flour
- 500 ML chicken stock pot e.g Knorr chicken stock pot
- 2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard can be omitted
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Splash Dairy free milk optional
- Black pepper to season
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees / gas mark 4
- Chop the chicken breasts into chunks. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and fry the chicken on a medium heat for 5 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Whilst the chicken is browning, peel and chop the potatoes into chunks. Boil the potatoes in a saucepan of boiling water for 15-20 minutes until soft. Once cooked, drain and mash them. You can add a splash of dairy free milk to make them a little creamier.
- Next, chop and prepare your onion, garlic, carrots and mushrooms.
- Chop the bacon into small squares and add to the same pan the chicken was in. Fry for 3-4 minutes until nice and crispy. Once crisp, turn down the heat and and add the garlic, onion, carrots and mushrooms. Fry all together for 2-3 minutes until soft.
- In a separate pan, melt the butter. Once melted, add the flour and whisk together. Slowly add the stock, whisking all the time until the sauce has thickened. Add the mustard and dried thyme, then stir well.
- Put the chicken back into the frying pan with the bacon mixture, add the sauce and mix together.
- Transfer mixture into a casserole dish then top with the mash. Score the mash in a circle pattern with a fork.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes until crispy.
Delicious and easy, my son is fussy and ate it all.