This hidden vegetable tomato pasta sauce is delicious and nutritious!
Packed full of hidden vegetables, it’s great for sneaking veg into your kids. Perfect for fussy eaters! The sauce is also dairy, egg and gluten free.
*Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links - This means I receive a commission for purchases made though those links, at no cost to you. Please click here for further info*
Most kids love tomato pasta….FACT! So if you can give them their favourite meal whilst sneaking in a load of veg, you are onto a winner!
Reasons Why You Will Love This Hidden Vegetable Tomato Pasta Sauce
- It is packed full of vegetables making it super nutritious !
- The vegetables are all hidden - perfect for fussy eaters!
- You can make a huge batch and then freeze it!
- The whole family will love it!
- It’s dairy, egg and gluten free.. in fact it is free from the top 14 allergens! (Always double check all packaging)
How to Make Hidden Vegetable Tomato Pasta Sauce
- Chop and grate all your vegetables first. If you have other veg in your fridge that you can use, chuck it in, the more the better! Courgette and butternut squash also work really well.
- Sweat the onion and garlic in a saucepan with some oil, until soft.
- Add your vegetables to the pan, stir well and cook until veg softens.
- Next, add the chopped tomatoes and herbs to the vegetables. Use the best quality tomatoes that you can, it really does make a difference to the taste. I like Cirio which you can find in all major supermarkets.
- Stir well & let the mixture simmer gently for 10-15 mins.
*At this stage, if you don’t have fussy eaters or prefer a chunkier sauce, you can serve it as is.
- Alternatively to “hide” the veggies, use a stick blender to blend the sauce until smooth. Easy as that!
What can I serve with the Hidden Vegetable Tomato Pasta Sauce?
As it says in the title, the most obvious answer is pasta! Sprinkled with some dairy free parmesan., it makes a tasty meal the whole family will love! If you are gluten free, you can use a gluten free pasta.
However it can also be used for so much more….. This hidden vegetable tomato Pasta sauce is also great as a:
- Tomato sauce base for pizza
- Whenever a recipe calls for a tomato sauce base - Bolognese, Chilli, Meatballs
- As a sauce for oven baked chicken - pour the sauce over a chicken breast and bake in the oven until cooked.
How Can I Store Leftovers?
This recipe makes 8 portions. Any leftovers can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To freeze, portion up the hidden vegetable tomato pasta sauce into zip close freezer bags ( or ice cube trays for toddler portions, then pop out and put into freezer bags once frozen). It will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To defrost, you can leave the sauce to defrost in the fridge or heat gently in a saucepan on the hob until fully defrosted and piping hot.
If you liked the recipe, please let me know by leaving a lovely comment and rating below!
Alternative Dinner Recipes
- Tree nuts
- Sesame seeds
- Sulphur dioxide and sulphites (Check your tin of chopped tomatoes)
ALWAYS DOUBLE CHECK ALL INDIVIDUAL PACKAGING FOR ALLERGENS
Hidden Vegetable Tomato Pasta Sauce
- 2 400g Tins Chopped tomatoes
- 1 Carrot
- ½ Red pepper
- 100 g Closed cup mushrooms
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Red Onion
- 1 teaspoon Dried basil
- 1 teaspoon Dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- Black pepper to season
- Grate the carrot. Chop the mushrooms, carrot, red pepper, red onion and garlic.
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan, add the onion and garlic and sweat on a low heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the carrot, red pepper and mushrooms to the pan, stir and cook for 4-5 minutes until soft.
- Pour the chopped tomatoes to the saucepan, add the dried basil and oregano and simmer on a low heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Blend the mixture using a stick blender until smooth.
- Season to taste.