This easy kids chicken noodle stir fry with broccoli is a great way of sneaking vegetables into your child’s dinner!
My version is dairy free, egg free and nut free but read on to find out how it can be easily adapted to suit different allergens.
*Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links - This means I receive a commission for purchases made though those links, at no cost to you. Please click here for further info*
I call this “kids” chicken noodles, but really this meal is great for the whole family and we all enjoy this on a regular basis.
My son rarely eats anything that resembles a vegetable. I couldn’t believe my eyes when the first time I cooked this, he cleared his bowl and asked for more!
The tender, juicy chicken along with the sweet, sticky sauce make this a family favourite weeknight healthy dinner.
The great thing about this easy kids chicken noodle stir fry with broccoli is that you can mix up the protein and the vegetables to suit the taste preferences of your family!
Looking for something else to make with the chicken in your fridge? Check out my easy mango chicken curry with coconut milk, my crispy, oven baked chicken goujons or dairy free chicken potato topped pie.
For the marinade
- Soy Sauce (Can use substituted for gluten free Tamari )
- Fresh Ginger
For the noodles
- Wholewheat Noodles (Can be substituted for rice noodles)
- Sunflower Oil
- Red Pepper
- Broccoli Florets
- Chicken Stock (made from dairy and celery free stock cube) I use Knorr chicken stock pots.
How to make Easy kids chicken noodle stir fry with broccoli
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together and pour over the chicken, allowing it to marinate ideally overnight, but if not as long as possible to soak up the flavours.
- Once the chicken has finished marinating, add to a hot wok or frying pan on a medium heat with a dash of vegetable oil. Pour in the remaining marinade and give it a really good stir.
- Cook the chicken for around 10 minutes until cooked, stirring regularly.
- Whilst the chicken is cooking, chop all the vegetables and make up the chicken stock.
- Next, cook the noodles in a pan of boiling water to packet instructions, adding the broccoli for the last few minutes of cooking. Once ready, drain and set aside.
- Whilst the noodles are cooking, add the red pepper and carrot to the chicken, stirring regularly.
- After a couple of minutes, add the chicken stock, honey and mirin or rice wine. (Don’t worry, the alcohol burns away whilst cooking!)
- Stir again, letting it simmer away for a minute or two.
- Then add the noodles and broccoli to the pan, mixing everything together really well and serve!
Hint: Stir the chicken regularly to stop it sticking to the pan. I really recommend this Tefal non sticking frying pan, its a great affordable pan that you will find yourself using all the time.
Substitutions & Variations
Chicken - Swap the chicken for the same amount of any protein, beef, pork or even tofu would work really well.
Gluten free - swap the wholewheat noodle for rice noodles or vermicilli. Substitute the rice wine with mirin and use Tamari or coconut aminos instead of the soy sauce.
Spice - If you would like to add some spice to the dish add a sliced fresh red chilli to the pan with the carrot and pepper.
Vegetables - the great thing about this dish is you can add any veg you like! Mushrooms, baby corn and mange tout are delicious in this dish.
Sesame - If you don’t have a sesame allergy some toasted sesame seeds sprinkled over the top of the noodles add a lovely crunch and flavour.
PLEASE DOUBLE CHECK ALL PACKAGING FOR ALLERGENS
Any leftover noodles can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
It can then be reheated in the microwave until piping hot.
This recipe doesn’t freeze well as the noodles break down when re-heating after being frozen, so it is best enjoyed fresh.
I hope you enjoy the recipe, let me know what you think by leaving a comment below!
More Allergy Friendly Recipes
Chicken noodle stir fry with broccoli
For The Marinade
- 2 tablespoon Soy Sauce (Can use gluten free Tamari if needed)
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 1 teaspoon Ginger grated
- 1 clove Garlic crushed
For The Noodles
- 1 medium Chicken thigh/breast skinless and boneless
- 100 grams Wholewheat Noodles Can be substituted for rice noodles which are gluten free
- ½ tablespoon Sunflower Oil
- 1 Red Pepper chopped into small squares
- 50 grams Broccoli Florets chopped into small florets
- 1 medium Carrot peeled and grated
- 100 ml Chicken Stock (made from dairy and celery free stock cube) check brands as most contain milk or celery
- ½ teaspoon Mirin / Rice Wine check ingredients for allergens
- ½ teaspoon Honey
- Slice the chicken into thin slices.
- Mix the soy sauce, honey , ginger and garlic together. Put all of the marinade ingredients into a bowl, add the chicken and coat. Leave for 1 hour or as long as possible in the fridge.
- Once marinated, heat the sunflower oil in a frying pan or wok on a medium heat. Add the chicken and left over marinade. Stir fry for 10 mins or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Chop the broccoli into small florets, the red pepper into small squares, peel & grate the carrot & make up the chicken stock.
- Meanwhile, cook the noodles in a saucepan of boiling water for 5 minutes or as per the packet instructions , adding the broccoli for the last 3 minutes. Drain and set aside when cooked.
- Add the red pepper and carrot to the chicken, stirring regularly for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Then add the chicken stock, honey and mirin/rice wine. Give it a good stir, then let it simmer for a minute or so.
- Add the drained noodles and broccoli to the frying pan, mix everything together really well, then serve into bowls.
Great recipe!! Thank you