This dairy free butterbean dip also known as lima bean hummus is deliciously creamy and is tahini free meaning it’s great for anyone with a sesame allergy. Perfect served with pitta, tortilla chips or crudities, it makes the ideal healthy snack.
*Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links - This means I receive a commission for purchases made though those links, at no cost to you. Please click here for further info*
My son adores houmous ( I mean who doesn’t!) and loves it daily with breadsticks. As my daughter is allergic to sesame I wanted to find a dip that she could have and enjoy when he has his hummus. This dairy free butter bean dip makes a great alternative. It is also vegan, gluten free and sesame free too, so is suitable for many food allergies.
Why not drizzle some of my delicious vegan spinach and basil pesto over the top of the dip for a taste explosion or serve it for your next buffet alongside my dairy & gluten free ham and cheese pinwheels , mini gluten free sausage rolls with chutney & baba ganoush without tahini.
Butter Beans V’s Lima Beans - Whats The Difference?
You may have heard of both, or know one and not sure on what the other is?
Well, there is no difference as they are actually the same bean! They are both the Phaseolus lunatus bean but dependant on your region or country you may know them as one or the other.
Made with only 4 ingredients ( 6 if you include salt and pepper!) this dip is super easy to make and can be whipped up in 5 minutes!
- Butter Beans - Also known as lima beans, I have used canned beans for this recipe
- Garlic - Packed full of anti oxidants, garlic is super good for you.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - I love Filippo Berio extra virgin olive oil, use the best quality you can.
- Lemon Juice - Gives a zesty zing to the dip, fresh juice is best!
Scroll to recipe card for quantities.
How To Make Dairy Free Butter Bean Dip
This dip couldn’t be simpler to make.
First up, drain and rinse the butter beans, then place in a blender along with chopped garlic, lemon juice & extra virgin olive oil.
Pulse in the blender until smooth, season to your preference and you are done!
- You may need to blend the ingredients for a few minutes for it to break up and become smooth and creamy.
- Every 20 seconds or so, open the blender and give it a stir around with a spoon to make sure all of the mixture gets blended.
- Add a dash of water if the mixture isn’t coming together or is looking a little dry, start with a small spoonful blend and add more if necessary.
This dairy free butter bean dip can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to four days.
You can also freeze it for 3 months. When ready to use, simply defrost in the refrigerator overnight and eat immediately once defrosted.
What can I serve with butterbean dip?
I normally serve this dip with my homemade tortilla chips. This is a great way to use up those last couple of tortilla wraps that normally go hard and get thrown away.
Just cut tortilla wraps into triangles, spray with some oil and bake in the oven at 180 degrees for 10-15 minutes depending on your oven, turning halfway.
The dip also works really well with pitta, breadsticks or crudities like carrots, cucumber and red pepper.
Let me know in the comments or by leaving a 5 star rating if you love this recipe!
Check out some of my other vegan recipes....
Vegan Creamy Mushroom & Broccoli Pasta
Dairy Free Butter Bean Dip (Lima Bean Hummus)
- 1 Tin Butter Beans 400g
- 1 Clove Garlic Peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil and extra tablespoon for drizzling
- 2 tablespoon Lemon Juiced
- 1 dash Cold Water
- to taste Salt & Pepper
- Place the drained butter beans, chopped garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, & water into a food processor.
- Blend well, you may need to stop a few times and give it a good stir.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place into a bowl & drizzle with the remaining olive oil.
Let me know what you think of this recipe!