This recipe for vegan banana pancakes is amazing!!
They are light, fluffy and make a perfect vegan weekend breakfast treat.
Being vegan, they are egg free & dairy free and can be easily adapted to be gluten free too.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links – This means I receive a commission for purchases made though those links, at no cost to you. Please click here for further info*
I don’t really have much of a sweet tooth, however my daughter who has multiple food allergies takes after her Dad and has a major appetite for all things sweet!
Pancakes are one of my husband’s favourites, so I needed to come up with a recipe that my daughter could enjoy alongside her Dad and these vegan banana pancakes hit the spot.
So much so, that I now love them too and they are a regular Sunday morning breakfast treat in our house.
Ingredients You Will Need to Make Vegan Banana Pancakes
These delicious vegan pancakes will require just 9 ingredients and they are all store cupboard basics!
You will need –
- A ripe banana
- Coconut oil
- Baking powder
- Plant based milk
- Vanilla extract
- Sugar (optional)
How To Make Vegan Banana Pancakes
This recipe for vegan banana pancakes is easy to make and uses store cupboard ingredients that you would usually have at home.
- Get your banana and mash in a bowl with a fork until smooth (ish!), you can use a blender, but this is another thing to wash up so I don’t bother!
- In another bowl, sift in your weighed flour and then add the baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar. (You can leave out the sugar if you are cooking for really little ones or if the banana you are using is really ripe, as this will naturally be sweet enough).
- Add the mashed banana and coconut oil to the flour bowl and mix together, pouring in the soya milk as you go.
- The batter should be quite thick, (quite similar to the texture of yoghurt). You may need to mix it for a couple of minutes to try and get out as many lumps as possible.
- Put a little coconut oil into a hot pan and add about 3/4 of a ladle full of the pancake mixture to the pan.
- You will know when the time comes to turn the pancake over as little holes will start to appear and it changes to a drier consistency. This normally takes a couple of minutes.
- Flip it over, give it another minute or so and you are done.
- Then stack up, drizzle with honey or syrup and add your fresh fruit!
How Do I Store Leftovers?
If you do have any remaining pancakes you can store them in the fridge. Place them in an airtight container, using greaseproof paper between each pancake so they don’t stick together. They will keep like this for 3-4 days.
The pancakes will also freeze for 1 month. When you wish to eat them, take them from the freezer and pop in the toaster or microwave to re-heat.
You can easily make these pancakes GLUTEN FREE by substituting the flour with gluten free flour and checking your baking powder is gluten free.
The riper the banana, the sweeter it is. If you have a really ripe banana you will not need to add the sugar to the recipe.
You can use any plant based milk and the recipe will still be vegan. I have used soya milk, however if soya is a problem allergen, great variations are almond, oat or coconut milk.
I hope you like this recipe as much as we do, please let me know in the comments!
Check Out My Other Vegan Recipes..
Full recipe below.
PLEASE ALWAYS CHECK INDIVIDUAL PACKETS FOR ALLERGENS
As per the recipe card the pancakes are free from
- Tree nuts (IF USING SOYA MILK)
- Sesame seeds
- Sulphur dioxide and sulphites
- Gluten – (Recipe can be made gluten free by using gluten free flour and baking powder)
- Soya if using soya milk. If you need to avoid soya, you can use oat, almond, coconut or any other plant based milk) PLEASE NOTE ANY OTHER ALLERGENS IN ALTERNATIVE MILKS.
Vegan Banana Pancakes
- 1 Banana Ripe
- 160 g Plain Flour (Can be substituted for gluten free)
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil and more for frying
- 1 Tbsp Baking powder (Can be substituted for gluten free)
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp Nutmeg
- 180 ml Soya milk or other plant based milk
- 1 Tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp sugar optional
- 1 Banana sliced
- 2 Handfuls Raspberries
- 2 Handfuls Blueberries
- Golden Syrup
- Mash the banana in a bowl, add the coconut oil and mix together.
- In a separate mixing bowl, sift in the flour then add the baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar (if using).
- Add the banana mix to the mixing bowl containing the flour.
- Pour in the soya milk, add the vanilla extract and stir until most of the lumps have disappeared. The batter will be quite thick and have a yoghurt like consistency.
- Heat a little coconut oil in a frying pan on a medium heat.
- Drop around 3/4 of a ladle of the mixture into the pan. When you notice holes/bubbles begin to form on the top of the pancake and the consistency becomes a little dry, flip over.
- Cook for another minute or so, then serve. Top with your choice of fruit and golden syrup or honey.